Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default GPS on parcel vans

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:11:39 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:17:55 +0100, NY wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:21:37 +0100, Bob Eager
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:42:14 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if ParcelForce could tell you EXACTLY where your
parcel was? They have GPS in their vans don't they?

They're stuck back in the ark.

But DPD do exactly that.

You mean if I track a DPD parcel coming to my house, I can see where it
is?

One of the courier companies (I don't think it's DPD, and it certainly
not Parcelforce or UPS) *does* allow you to do exactly this: you get an
email from Amazon (or whoever you've ordered from) with a URL that
allows you to see the location of the van and the number of deliveries
that he has to make before he gets to you. I was once watching and saw
that the spot on the map made a strange detour rather than taking the
direct route, even though I was next on the list without an intervening
delivery being shown. The driver was amazed when I said "was there yet
another accident at X junction" (a notorious accident black spot) and
said he'd forgotten that his van could be tracked.

It is DPD, but Interlink use the same system (they may be related
companies).

Yes they're the same or linked. Interlink is the consumer version perhaps.

--
An Englishman was feeling a little queezy on his first sailing, and leaned over the edge of the boat. He saw a Frenchman below opening his porthole so, feeling the urge to bring up his dinner, he yelled "LOOK OUT!"
The Frenchman stuck his head out of the porthole and was decorated with semi-digested food. "YOU SILLY ENGLISHMAN!!!!" he yelled, "Why do you say look out when you mean look in?"