Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Deck screws in PTW wood

On 9/17/2015 1:15 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I like ringed deck nails. They don't leave a hole
to hold water and are less noticeable once stained.
I don't know of any reason that one needs screws.

I've been seeing screws even in railings. SS, square
drive screws. They look fancy but split the wood and
offer no advantage over nails.

I built a small deck recently using deck screws. Pre-drilled the holes
when it was on the edges of the planks, but everything else went in easy
without pre-drilling. Every deck we've built we used screws even the
deck we built around our above ground pool. When we sold the pool, we
sold the deck with it and the boards just had to be unscrewed and carted
away.

--
Maggie