Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Deck screws in PTW wood

On 2015-09-17, Mayayana wrote:
I like ringed deck nails. They don't leave a hole
to hold water and are less noticeable once stained.
I don't know of any reason that one needs screws.

Holy crick-crock! So many variables. Do you mean ring shanked nails?

I haven't done any carpentry since 16 box nails were the height of
construction technology. Were talking framing hammers.

When I built new steps for my late mom, I used screws. Not cuz I knew
best, but noticed the original steps and pretty much the entire deck
was done with 3-1/2 screws (now all rusty and pulling out).

The first thing I learned was, I didn't know the diff between a
battery pwrd drill and an impact/drill. After discovering I hadda
pre-drill all those screw holes (3 guesses which one I got) cuz my
DeWalt btry drill would only push those screws about half way, I
discovered the impact/drill. I now have a Hitachi drill/driver, but I
also have my late brothers framing air gun and a lot of his other
tools (he was a master carpenter).

Reading online, I see arguments for both screws and nails. I'll be
re-doing the deck board/planks in wood, in the CO Rockies, so a lotta
dry/freeze cycles. Hope this info helps ppl replying to my OP.

nb