Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workshop/Garage Heaters

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 12:11:59 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
Capitol writes
John Rumm wrote:
I find fully electric in a 17' x 12' workshop that is fully lined
with 2" of PIR foam to be relatively cheap. I have a wall mounted
fan heater with an external stat to keep it about about 5 deg. I can
turn that up when I am using it, and also supplement it with a
standalone halogen heater. Only really needed for 20 mins to get the
place to a comfortable temperature, then the fan heater will
maintain it.

I use a heat pump.

Kindly expand..

I briefly considered an air source heat pump for my carpentry tenant.
AFAIR for around 1000ukp I could get his partitioned off office up to
a reasonable temperature.

Heating the remaining 120 m2 was out of reach. Intermittent occupation
did not help. Ideally something over 10deg.C for gluing.

dehumidifier plus fan works very well for drying clothing

Currently he is exploring electric fan heating spread across 3 phases.
The roof has 75mm of PIR foam but the walls are 4" block. Internal
insulation would be extremely disruptive and external leaves the
thermal delay of heating the walls.

This is a 12K btu aircon unit which puts out 3.6Kw nominal with
a nominal efficiency of 300% into 7 x 20 x 20 ft. The floor is
uninsulated, the walls have 1" of glass fibre insulation, topped by 1/2"
ply, with bubble insulated metal doors. The ceiling has 4" of glass
fibre under 1/2" plasterboard, topped by 3/4 inch plywood. Plus all the
rubbish stored in the loft in case it is useful! It takes about 1/2 an
hour to heat up to 26C with 5C outside temperature.. Also useful for
perhaps 1 day per year as air conditioner!

I kind of wonder how practical it would be to take a fair number of scrapped fridges that work, and use their mechanics to heat a house.

NT