Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Workshop/Garage Heaters

John Rumm wrote:
On 13/09/2015 16:17, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

What with the colder weather just around the corner, an old man's
thoughts turn to keeping warm. There are various space heaters on the
market. Electric ones are just too expensive to run and the only other
alternatives seem to be propane or diesel types, but which is the best
bet overall in terms of, well, everything?

What kind of building is it, how big, and how well insulated?

If the answer to the latter is "not well" then, is there scope for
improvement?

I find fully electric in a 17' x 12' workshop that is fully lined with
2" of PIR foam to be relatively cheap. I have a wall mounted fan
heater with an external stat to keep it about about 5 deg. I can turn
that up when I am using it, and also supplement it with a standalone
halogen heater. Only really needed for 20 mins to get the place to a
comfortable temperature, then the fan heater will maintain it.

I use a heat pump.