Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Farm table part Deux: Top glue up?

On 9/10/2015 4:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

I noticed that you have a jointer:

with that in mind, might also want to pay attention to the following for
increasing your chances of getting a flat glue-up that will save you
tons of cleanup and flattening:

~ Do a layout for your glue-up with all the boards face up, and in the
correct/final order.

Starting from the top, and alternating with chalk/pencil, a "U" (up) on
one side, and a "D" (down) on the opposite side, of _each_ glue joint in
the layout.

Then do a final pass over the jointer, with the above marked edge
against the fence, AND in the appropriate up or down orientation.

The resulting adjacent edges of each joint will now equal 90 degrees,
even if your jointer fence is not precisely set to 90 degrees.

The method takes out any error of the fence being square to the table
(and technique for the most part), takes elegant advantage of the
principle of "complementary angles" to obtain 90 degree joints for
_adjacent boards_ in a glue-up.

Have used this "jointer" method for panel glue-ups, without fail, for
years ... your mileage shouldn't vary.

Yes, me too, with one variation. I number adjoining joints 1, 2, 3,
4... instead of up and down. When I joint, I always do even in, odd
out. That way the boards can easily be re-assembled later the exact
same way you laid them out for looks.

I already tilted the fence to give thin boards more glue surface. Found
that was never really needed, but it works.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com