Posted to alt.home.repair
John Somerset John Somerset is offline

Default sliding PEX onto compression fitting

On 9/13/15 10:47 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:59:30 -0400, John Somerset
wrote:

On 9/12/15 4:11 PM, philo wrote:
On 09/12/2015 02:46 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 15:34:11 -0400, John Somerset
wrote:

The hardware man said heat is used to slide PEX onto these fittings.
Rather than explain it, he gave me a piece of polybutylene.

He told you wrong. Heat is never used.

He has been in the business all his life. He keeps his tools hanging at
the store because he has several houses and never knows when a tenant
may have a plumbing emergency. He knows plumbers but it's been so long
since he needed one, that he doesn't know what they charge these days.

People can buy plumbing supplies cheaper at big stores, but he does a
thriving business because he'll give them advice they can count on.
I'll take his word over yours.

Then you would a bigger moron than we expected. PEX is not heated for
_any_ connections. Prove me wrong by providing a link saying so. He
told you a story about PEX, lied about it and then gave you a "piece
of polybutylene." They are not the same animals, fool.

Saying something is not true because you didn't read it on the internet
is pretty close to saying something is true because you did read it on
the internet.

When I want plumbing information I can count on, I don't settle for
Google. I turn to a man who has been in the hardware business and the
home rental business 50 years.

PEX doesn't melt until 125C, but at 100 it's soft enough that crimped
connections may fail. At 90, it will take 40% less pressure than at 70.

I need it to yield only a little to go over a Flair-It fitting. 50C,
the temperature at which I wash my hands, would probably be plenty.

Flaming me and philo won't work. Ed is the group moderator. Get him to
me stop from posting. Write your reasons in this space [ ].

Is this all the thanks I get for my helpful personal advice? I'll leave
you with the words of Alfred Painter. "Saying thank you is more than
good manners. It is good spirituality."