Posted to rec.woodworking

Default And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

In article ,
says...

On 9/12/2015 8:58 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,

says...

On 9/12/2015 7:33 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I was giving serious thought to a Volt. Had occasion to rent a car this
week, it was a Cruze, which I understand is the same body. I'm way too
old for a car like that--I just don't bend the way you have to to get in
and out of it anymore.

The Volt looks a bit larger but I've only ever seen a couple of them.
They need much more range to be practical but that is improving.

The Volt has an onboard generator, it has as much range as any other
car.

With the gas engine running you lose much of the advantage. With the
present model I can't even get to work and back, but the new one
supposedly will. It has a 53 mile range. But does that include running
the AC for comfort?

I also wonder how well the climate control works in extreme
temperatures. As I get older, the creature comforts become more important.

I suspect it's another case where you crank up the gas engine.

Again, little advantage for the extra cost up front. I drove probably
80 mules today just going to the store, lunch, etc.

That's you. My daily commute is 14 miles. I can charge at work. I
just can't get in and out of the blasted thing without straining
something.