Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default GPS on parcel vans

"Charles Hope" wrote in message
In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 22:09:33 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:33:20 +0100, Bob Eager
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:26:43 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:21:37 +0100, Bob Eager
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:42:14 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if ParcelForce could tell you EXACTLY where
your parcel was? They have GPS in their vans don't they?

They're stuck back in the ark.

But DPD do exactly that.

You mean if I track a DPD parcel coming to my house, I can see where
it is?

Yes. Although it depends on the service the sender has selected. It
tracks as with all the other carriers until it leaves the local
depot. Then you can see the van's location, and how many deliveries
are left before yours, and how long it will be.

Cool. I knew they were better than others (they give you a 1 hour
delivery window), but I didn't know they were that good.

But should the driver happen to arrive before the start of the 1 hour
window, the hand held device won't let you sign for it until the window
has started. DAMHIKT

I have had that problem before. The driver was most irritated but got
around it. I think he signed for it himself later on. Quite why DPD
thought a customer would not like the parcel delivered early is beyond
comprehension.

Could you guarantee he'd be in? He might have just slipped down to the
shops believing he'd get back in time to accept the delivery.

Of course, but it doesn’t make any sense
to not allow him to sign for it if he is in
when it is successfully delivered early.

Tho I suppose that they likely do it that
way to discourage the drivers from showing
up outside the 1 hour window and hoping
that the customer will be there to receive it.