Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Farm table part Deux: Top glue up?

On 9/10/2015 2:35 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 9/9/2015 1:22 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 9/9/2015 9:04 AM, wrote:

I have the 3 boards (~12x84x1.5)ready for glue up. I am not using
breadboard ends. My plan is to either use biscuits or some kind of
spline for greater strength and alignment. I'm not quite sure here
so any input would be appreciated.

You need nothing for greater strength but a spline or biscuits will
aid with keeping everything in place when clamping.

What Leon said. But, you are going to need to clamp this
to get a good glue joint, and with boards that long and
thick, you'll need several stout clamps - I'd think 5 would
be the minimum, and a couple more wouldn't hurt.

John

If he has good edges, straight ones, clamping pressure can be
drastically reduced.

On a 7 foot board, the odds of having an edge straight enough
to not need clamping are pretty small. On a 1.5" thick
board, if you're going to bend it at all by clamping, you'll
need a stout clamping setup.

John

I have 25 pieces of maple that are about 10' long and I could glue most
any of them together with out much issue.

If you use straight lumber, as is stated above clamping pressure, is
drastically reduced. Not what you changed it to, "to not need clamping".

No doubt that if you are not working with suitable stock to begin with
stout clamps will help. But again, good edges, straight ones do not
require as much clamping pressure to close the joint. Straight edges
should not be an issue to obtain.