Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Farm table part Deux: Top glue up?

On 9/10/2015 9:55 AM, Jim wrote:
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 10:04:33 AM UTC-4, Jim wrote:
First, let me thank everybody for the input on the wood type I seem
to using for this project. Probably southern yellow pine.

I have the 3 boards (~12x84x1.5)ready for glue up. I am not using
breadboard ends. My plan is to either use biscuits or some kind of
spline for greater strength and alignment. I'm not quite sure here
so any input would be appreciated.

I also plan to put boards across the bottom of the top, about every
2 feet or so. Probably overkill, but I do want this to last a long
time.

The final product should look sort of like this:

http://www.mortisetenon.com/assets/i...ning-table.jpg

Yeah, the edges are pretty good. Doing this on my jointer was a
challange to say the least. What I ended up doing was, once I got
close with the jointer, to but them together with light clamping then
find the high spots and hand planing those down. So now I have them
all layed out and I put just 2 clamps on them, at the ends, with
light pressiure and put a light below. At this point I see nothing
coming through so I think they will be nice and tight with 7 clamps,
about one each foot. First I'll do two,then add the third.

Start your clamps in the middle and work towards the ends.

The loose tenon idea is interesting. I have a beadlock tool that
I've been very happy with. I toyed with using it for this
application and maybe I'll give it a go. I know the glued joint
should hold fine, but I've never worked with anything this big and
heavy and it kind of worries me to not have a little something extra
to hold it together. The alignment isn't that critical as once I
have it all glued up I'm bringing it down to a guy in town that has a
giant drum sander and run it through that to get it nice and flat and
smooth. For $25, it's worth it.

You really don't need the extra strength, the glue joint properly
prepared, will be stronger than the wood itself.
BUT better alignment to begin with is a lesson in building better
quality. While you are going to have some one use a drum sander to
flatten the top that may not be necessary if you build better to begin
with. Build better/smarter and work less. ;~)

As for attaching the top I've used these befo

http://www.rokhardware.com/furniture...s-20-pack.html

But do you think they will hold up to something this heavy if
somebody picks up the table from the top edges? I would use GRK
screws to put them on.

That would depend on whether you use 4 or 40. Keep in mind that you are
going to have your groves cut to receive them anyway, adding more
fasteners will be simple if necessary. And you absolutely should test
lifting by the top to verify.

A suggestion, your greatest movement is going to be along the width so
if and when the top expands or shrinks any of the fasteners along the
length might become too tight or unattached. It would be better if you
added a couple of supports evenly spaced between the ends of the table,
similar to the end aprons. Attach those supports to your side aprons
and cut groves on those also. Use your fasteners on the apron ends and
mid supports rather along the length of the table. Clear as mud? ;~)

Jim