Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default #loadshedding

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Wonderful! I love the plot line where a man holds a gun to your head and
tells you to rob a bank or else, and then claims it was all your own
doing, for selfish reasons of self preservation!

Fighting for better pay or conditions of service is holding a 'gun to your
head'. Or, of course the more usual 'holding the country to ransom'. But
then hyperbole does tend to be a tool of the extreme right wing.

They were offered and refused a 16.5% pay increase. Holding the country
to ransom is a fair description of attempting to strangle the economy by
closing down the power stations. The subsequent Labour government then
offered them 35% in 74 and a further 35% in 75.
Did you actually live through that period?

Yes and I managed much of the companies limited power availability to
optimise usage.
Of course it's far better now. Loads of the poorest on zero hours
contracts at minimum wage. Just what big business ordered.

You've been swallowing the BBCs exaggerated figures of the numbers. For
many situations zero hours contracts are the only practical way of
giving flexibility to those who want to work part time. The recent court
ruling on holiday pay has protected one of their major employment
rights.

--
bert