Posted to alt.home.repair

Default screwed down squeaky sub floor, causes warped sub floor

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:51:23 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Before replacing the carpet in my bedroom I cut the carpet and screwed
down the sub floor to quiet down the squeaks.

Weeks later, the tiled floor in the bathroom adjacent to the bedroom now
has a slight bulge upwards. The bulged area is about 6 inches away from
the closest screwed down sub floor.

I guess screwing down the sub floor prevents them from moving
horizontally due to moisture expansion.

If I cut slits between the sub floor boards with a circular saw, would
that allow the floor to expand without bulging? Or should I just remove
the screws and live with squeaks?

Talcum powder is a good remedy for squeaky floorboards. From what I've read, you sprinkle the powder on the floor then sweep it around so it gets into the cracks. ^_^

http://lifehacker.com/163667/macgyve...-talcum-powder

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...886389,00.html

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/28/242

[8~{} Uncle Squeaky Monster