Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default screwed down squeaky sub floor, causes warped sub floor

Before replacing the carpet in my bedroom I cut the carpet and screwed
down the sub floor to quiet down the squeaks.

Weeks later, the tiled floor in the bathroom adjacent to the bedroom now
has a slight bulge upwards. The bulged area is about 6 inches away from
the closest screwed down sub floor.

I guess screwing down the sub floor prevents them from moving
horizontally due to moisture expansion.

If I cut slits between the sub floor boards with a circular saw, would
that allow the floor to expand without bulging? Or should I just remove
the screws and live with squeaks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:51:23 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Before replacing the carpet in my bedroom I cut the carpet and screwed
down the sub floor to quiet down the squeaks.

Weeks later, the tiled floor in the bathroom adjacent to the bedroom now
has a slight bulge upwards. The bulged area is about 6 inches away from
the closest screwed down sub floor.

I guess screwing down the sub floor prevents them from moving
horizontally due to moisture expansion.

If I cut slits between the sub floor boards with a circular saw, would
that allow the floor to expand without bulging? Or should I just remove
the screws and live with squeaks?

Talcum powder is a good remedy for squeaky floorboards. From what I've read, you sprinkle the powder on the floor then sweep it around so it gets into the cracks. ^_^

http://lifehacker.com/163667/macgyve...-talcum-powder

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...886389,00.html

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/28/242

[8~{} Uncle Squeaky Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 6:51:23 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Before replacing the carpet in my bedroom I cut the carpet and screwed
down the sub floor to quiet down the squeaks.

Weeks later, the tiled floor in the bathroom adjacent to the bedroom now
has a slight bulge upwards. The bulged area is about 6 inches away from
the closest screwed down sub floor.

I guess screwing down the sub floor prevents them from moving
horizontally due to moisture expansion.

If I cut slits between the sub floor boards with a circular saw, would
that allow the floor to expand without bulging? Or should I just remove
the screws and live with squeaks?

They probably didn't leave the required gaps between sheets
to allow for expansion. Still seems unusual that just screwing
it down more would cause this. I'd certainly try doing a relief
cut, you would think that would work, if that's the source of
the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:36:48 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

If I cut slits between the sub floor boards with a circular saw, would
that allow the floor to expand without bulging? Or should I just remove
the screws and live with squeaks?

They probably didn't leave the required gaps between sheets
to allow for expansion. Still seems unusual that just screwing
it down more would cause this. I'd certainly try doing a relief
cut, you would think that would work, if that's the source of
the problem.

In my former house, adding a sub floor, used T&G 3/4" ply with liquid
nails (joist) before the floor was nailed down. Solid.

Without that, a good sub floor _would_ have a ~3/16 - 1/8" gap between
plywood sheets at the end joints.