Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Turning Fresh Stock

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Mike Marlow" writes:
Leon wrote:

Narrow pieces will not take as long to dry out but for regular
lumber the general time frame for natural air drying is about 1
year per inch of thickness.

This makes a good take off point Leon. I've also heard the same
thing stated, but then I look at what I experience in cutting
firewood - admitedly

So - there is perhaps some difference in what makes good burning
wood and what makes good lumber, but the difference cannot be that
great. If

The moisture content sufficient to burn and the moisture content
required for radial stability are quite different, particularly when
the fire itself is drying the wood.

Not true Scott. When the moisture content of wood is high, you do not get a
fire. Try it. You will see a piece of wood that does not get going, and
that almost extinguishes itself with its own moisture. I submit that your
comment is not accurate at all. Though I may be wrong, your comment is just
too generic at this point.

So - think about it this way Scott - if wood can go from fresh cut to
burnable in the space of 3 months, at dimensions 4 or 5 times that of
dimensional lumber, then does it seem logical that a piece of dimensional
lumber really requires 1 year per inch to dry?

--

-Mike-