Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Farm table part Deux: Top glue up?

On 9/9/2015 9:04 AM, wrote:
First, let me thank everybody for the input on the wood type I seem
to using for this project. Probably southern yellow pine.

I have the 3 boards (~12x84x1.5)ready for glue up. I am not using
breadboard ends. My plan is to either use biscuits or some kind of
spline for greater strength and alignment. I'm not quite sure here so
any input would be appreciated.

You need nothing for greater strength but a spline or biscuits will aid
with keeping everything in place when clamping.

I also plan to put boards across the bottom of the top, about every 2
feet or so. Probably overkill, but I do want this to last a long
time.

This may do harm if not properly done, you have to consider the width of
the top expanding and contracting with humidity changes.
I think the apron will be plenty and you should use elongated holes
for attaching.

The final product should look sort of like this:

http://www.mortisetenon.com/assets/i...ning-table.jpg