Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default flapper won't come down, where to find this flapper?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:23:48 -0400, "TomR"
wrote:

In ,
John Smith typed:
I have a one-piece Atlas commode which, I believe, is made by American
Standard. This commode is quite old. Recently, it has the problem that
the flapper won't come down. I want to replace the flapper but this
flapper is quite unusual. Most of the flappers has two ears and is
attached to a center tube. This commode doesn't have a center tube.
On a corner of the water tank there are two holes which allow excess
water to flow into the bowl.

I had a similar situation with a one-piece American Standard toilet flapper.
I had a hard time figuring out what the exact replacement was. I ended up
going to Lowes and trying two different types before I found the correct
one. Even then, I could never get it to work correctly so it kept hanging
up. Since it was a rental property, I finally gave up and put in a new
toilet that has a "normal" flapper.

If I remember correctly, the black flapper assembly un-clips or un-hooks
from the base piece. I also think that for some of these, the base piece
itself can be replaced by removing 3 screws and clips that hold it in place.

I probably should have just taken the old one to a plumbing supply place,
but, like you, I couldn't figure out how to get the old one off at first.

Here are two links that may give you some ideas:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_236807-143-P...ductId=3375098

Yeah, that's the one I had in mind (not that having it in mind did the
OP any good) I used to wonder why it looked that way.

It looked lie part of a Rube Goldberg machine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toil...2u9oHDa1cyM%3A

The first link may or may not look like the one you have now. The second
link shows one with the white base ring that the flappers hook on to. The
white base ring is attached to the bottom of the tank with 3 screws and 3
metal clips.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus