Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Turning Fresh Stock

Meanie wrote:
I'm still in the beginning stages of wood turning but have dabbled with
small items which I've been happy with. I purchased 5 carbide cutters
which came with two metal holders, though one cutter is a diamond shape
and has it's own designated holder. Therefore, I have one holder for the
other 4 cutters. Anyway, I made holders out of square SS stock and now
need wooden handles to fit.

I trimmed my silver maple tree over the weekend. In doing so, I realized
the size of some of the branches would be great for my handles. I shaped
one and pleasantly surprised how well it "turned" out (pun intended).
The question I have is about the freshness of the wood. It was less than
24 hours after I trimmed the tree, I cut a piece for the handle.
Therefore, that puppy was fresh and easy to turn. I've heard about
letting wood sit to dry out, then finish. This is the part I haven't any
knowledge on. What length of time is required to dry out? Is the main
reason to dry for finishes or easier to turn? Though I can't imagine it
being for easier turning. That bark and shavings came off like butter.
Overall, how do I handle turning fresh stock?

Thanks

It helps to seal the end grain with wax or Anchor-seal (which is a
wax-in-water emulsion). This slows the loss of water through the end
grain and promotes more even drying throughout the piece, therefore
less checking.

I turn my bowls thicker than the finished bowl will be. Thickness of
10 percent of the total diameter. Then I put them in a paper bag to
dry. The bag makes a micro-climate inside, slowing the drying. After
1 month I start weighing the pieces with a digital gram scale every 2
weeks and write the weight on the piece with a pencil. When the
weight loss stops, it is dry for all practical purposes. Different
woods dry at different speeds, averaging 3-5 months for a bowl with a
wall thickness of 3/4 inch. It will no longer be round, so the finish
turning corrects this.

Also, avoid using wood with the heart (pith) in it, as it will usually
split IME.

--
GW Ross

Ever wonder what the speed of