Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Turning Fresh Stock

On 9/8/2015 6:02 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Narrow pieces will not take as long to dry out but for regular lumber
the general time frame for natural air drying is about 1 year per inch
of thickness.

You probably will not have to wait that long, given the smaller size
and length, but I would let the piece, cut to approximate length, dry
for a few to several months "before" turning to final size. They will
surely change shape as they dry.

Typically green wood is extremely easy to turn but it will change
shape and maybe crack or twist. Many bowl turners will turn a green
piece to rough shape and then let the piece dry for a year or so
before turning to final shape. This speeds up the drying process.

Would coating the freshly turned pieces with Anchor Seal or similar help
prevent checks as the wood dries?

Puckdropper

You took my thought right out of my head. I await the answer.