Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extend old worn in-wall wiring

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 06:33:08 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 9/6/2015 8:38 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 4:29:53 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some I've seen, I call em back clamp. Which
is fine with me.
-
.

Are you referring to the type where you must tighten the screw after sticking the stripped end of the wire through the hole in the back of the wiring device?
If it's what I'm thinking, it's a commercial grade device that I've used with stranded wire. You can also side wire them. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Wire Monster

Agree, it has two square pieces of metal which
come together when you tighten the screw. I can
imagine you can loop the wire around the screw
and tighten, though with more work. For us old
traditionalists.

-
.

On the "side terminal" you can, but not in the back feed (or side
clamp)- On some it is a small round hole, just like the old
spring-tab type, that only allows a 1/2" long sstraight strippec
condictor to be inserted, and the the screw is tightened to hold it
firmly.

On others you use the same side screw and either use the bent wire
between the plate and the screw, or the straigt wire beweeen the plate
and the terminal body.. I sure prefer the side clamp type backwire
installation - both to install and to remove later.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.