Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.E Mr.E is offline

Default flapper won't come down, where to find this flapper?

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 06:33:04 +0630, John Smith wrote:

On 06/09/2015 23:14, Don Y wrote:
On 9/6/2015 9:38 AM, John Smith wrote:
I have a one-piece Atlas commode which, I believe, is made by American
Standard. This commode is quite old. Recently, it has the problem that
the
flapper won't come down. I want to replace the flapper but this
flapper is
quite unusual. Most of the flappers has two ears and is attached to a
center
tube. This commode doesn't have a center tube. On a corner of the
water tank
there are two holes which allow excess water to flow into the bowl.

I cannot accurately describe this flapper but I'll try. It is like a
regular
flapper (without the ears) with a 1" tube, 2 to 3 inches long, placed
horizontally on top of it. Above it is an arm with a chain which is
attached to
the handle for flushing.

I know there is not much info to go by but if anyone can understand
what I'm
talking about and point me to a picture on the web, it'll be greatly
appreciated.

I searched Google but did not find the flapper I was looking for. The
closest
thing I can find is this:

Have you done an *image* search on google for "toilet flapper"?

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/toh/i/g/10/home-repair/07-toilets-run/01-faucets-drip.jpg

You could also take a photo and post it on one of the many file
hosting services...

Thank you. The flapper in the link is quite similar to what I have
except in mine the tube is right on top of (touching ) the flapper.

How do I remove the flapper? I need to remove it to replace it.

This seems to be an American Standard brand flapper. Some screw onto the
stud or screw protruding from the tube and some snap over a ball that
is part of the tube.
When old and hardened, you may have to cut the rubber on the snap on
type to get it off. The tubes may be difficult to remove from the pivot
and often break one of the ears they pivot on when older but the flapper
can be removed without unclipping the tubes.
Go online or to a plumbing house and look at both types for a definitive
match. The universal types that fit both sometimes do not fit or operate
well.
--
Mr.E