Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extend old worn in-wall wiring

On 9/7/2015 6:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I'd always spend extra money on wiring devices instead of purchasing the $0.59 receptacles. I'd go with at least commercial grade then up to hospital grade depending on the application. If you're wondering what a hospital grade outlet is, it's one designed so that the power cord of a floor polisher can be yanked out of the outlet sideways so the outlet isn't damaged. The outlets are usually made out of nylon and can be whacked with a hammer without sustaining damage. I'd install them around my shop and workbench, especially if I'd be plugging and unplugging power cords frequently. I'd also spring for the unbreakable, flexible nylon faceplates. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Wiring Monster

Of course, the usage cycle and type of use is
a factor. For hall sockets at church, need a
better grade of socket. Frequent vacuum cleaner
plug, remove, yank, and people who can't figure
out they are at the end of the cord.

For my kitchen socket (toaster unplugged couple
times a year to shake the dried wheat out of the
toaster) a 59 center is fine for me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young