Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extend old worn in-wall wiring

On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 10:35:19 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/05/2015 01:01 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

snip
I'm not disagreeing at all with what "good practice" would be, just
saying that the corrosion issue and need for special connectors and
anti-corrosion pastes, which I never used, has not shown up as a
problem in these many many years. Perhaps it's due to AZ's very low
humidity. Last time I worked on the wires to add some GFI's I was
going to use the special connectors and paste but couldn't find any at
the usual retail outlets so just did it the same as in the past.

If anyone is still reading and is "in the biz", have you ever worked
with aluminum and actually seen problems from not using the special
connectors and anti-corrosion paste?

The low humidity may have helped.

My only experience was with a high-powered transformer when one of the
terminals burned off. I cut back into good aluminum and crimped a copped
lug onto it.

It eventually burned off...however even if I used an approved lug my
guess is that it would have burned off too...so that's not much to go on

High humidity here in the "interlaken" region of Southern Ontario
hasn.t seemed to cause any problems.