Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extend old worn in-wall wiring

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 10:25:02 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/05/2015 08:23 AM, wrote:

snip

I would totally get rid of the aluminum wire even though it's obviously
going to be a big job.

Although pigtailing copper to aluminum without the proper connector
or paste is not a good idea, it is far less dangerous than using
aluminum wire in "backstab" receptacles. That practice has NEVER been
approved, and is one of the worst things you can do with aluminum
wiring, safety and reliability-wise.

Agreed

and for that matter I don't use the "backstab" at all...

I take the few extra seconds it takes to use the screw connection and
make sure it's tight.

The new "back feed" devices are pretty good. They don't use a
springtab - they use a screw but do not require bending the wire to
fit around the screw, and the co-alr devices have a set pressure due
to usre of a bellview type spring washer.