Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Extend old worn in-wall wiring

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 09:53:06 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 07:16:13 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 23:32:05 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Are there special kits and procedures when the wires for a switch have broken
too often at the tips? I fixe dtwo switched two years ago like that and
although the need isn't urgent, I could seeit arising in a few months.

Use a good brand of butt connector for the size wire you have. Be sure
the crimper you use is the right type for the connector.

There is only one "butt" connector approved for joining solid copper
to solid aluminum wiring and it requires a special tool that can only
be rented or leased from the manufacturer by operators trained and
certified in it's use. Can't remember the name at the moment.

Ah-yes. It's Copalum

The"ideal" wire-nut designed for joining copper and aluminum is also
falling out of favor as the failure rate of connections using the
product is higher than anticipated - and higher than acceptable. The
only good and simple way to use aluminum wiring is with devices
specifically designed for use with aluminum wiring and designated as
CO-ALR devices. Installed according to the included directions,
particularly on second generation Al wire, they are as safe and
reliable as using copper wire.

If you need to connect aluminum to copper the new Alumiconn connectors
also work very well but they take up a lot of box space and are not
cheap.

I have replaced all devices in my home with CO-ALR devices (about 5 or
6 times the price of standard "big box" copper only devices - and in
the process found NO connections that showed ANY sign of overheating
or poor connections (other than a few outlets that had obviously lost
the tension in the place receptors, causing poor connection between
plug and outlet - which is not wiring related)

My house was wired in 1974 with the "second generation" aluminum wire.
(aa8800) by a master electrician I knew very well, without the help of
an apprentice.. I bought the house when it was 8 years old and there
have been no modifications/additions made since I bought it - and the
basement was professionally wired with copper by the first owner.

What's different about the CO-ALR devices? I'm assuming you mean
switch's and receptacles.