Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Extend old worn in-wall wiring

On 09/04/2015 08:11 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 20:30:19 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 04 Sep 2015 17:03:39 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/4/2015 4:32 PM, wrote:
Are there special kits and procedures when the wires for a switch have broken
too often at the tips? I fixe dtwo switched two years ago like that and
although the need isn't urgent, I could seeit arising in a few months.

Why are the wires breaking? There should be no mechanical stresses transfered
to the wires from the user's operation of the switch.

Good question. Is someone bending them back and forth until they break.
How old is the house? I've never had one break.

I've got aluminum wire in one house. Very few have broken but some
have been squished by 40 years of pressure of the push in connections
on the switches and receptacles that they no longer have enough
pressure to maintain solid contact. I often pigtail a copper wire to
them to avoid a repeat.

Unless you use a connector or paste, specifically designed to connect
copper to aluminum you have a fire risk.
If copper is connected directly to aluminum there will be galvanic
corrosion which can arc.

I would totally get rid of the aluminum wire even though it's obviously
going to be a big job.