Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 19:40:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 6:16:40 AM UTC-5, Ewald Böhm wrote:
What use is WiFi on a TV screen?

A relative of mine called, who was told "something" by Costco, that their
Visio TVs have WiFi and therefore she wouldn't need the "box" whatever
that is.

I don't have cable, nor even a TV, but I suspect that "box" is something
that was added when they switched from Analog to Digital (or maybe it's a
descrambler).

They said they have to pay the cable company for a second box (the first
one is free), so, it's not a modem (because you'd only need one modem).

Anyway, my basic question, for you, is "what use is WiFi in a TV"?

Note that I can easily see that bluetooth is useful, since you can then
use that TV with a keyboard; but what good is WiFi in a TV screen at home?

I recently got a smart TV then got a message from my provider (DIRECTV) that I need to connect to the internet. The second "box" is a wireless connection kit for $99. However, since I have been a customer beyond the contract period I can upgrade to a new receiver at no cost--if I sign on for another two year contract. Since I

don't care about Netflix and the other features, I'm electing to skip the "smart" features for now.

I have Dish and I did not get anything from them for my TV. I just use
the HDMI input for the cable box and the WiFi on the TV sees my
router. I was good to go.