Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 09:32:59 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Everything is a CPU these days. It is cheaper to write software and
use an off the shelf CPU chip than to design a purpose built chip.

That depends on the functionality you intend in the product. Note
that CPUs go out of production just like "dedicated chips"...

You can still buy 8080 chips but these people are using a standard PIC
of some sort.

Fixing mistakes is a lot easier too.

grin When was the last time you GOT an update to your microwave
oven software? The GPS *software* (not MAPS) in your car? Any of
the dozens of ECU's in your vehicle? The controller in your furnace?
You washing machine/dryer/dishwasher?

It is still easier to fix the ones on the line.
There are flash changes for cars and you certainly see a lot of
microcode upgrades on a smart TV.

Fixing is a misnomer. *Changing* is a better description. Manufacturers
make *changes* (going forward) which may (or may not) "fix" problems.
But, folks *with* those problems end up living with them. I.e., the
CPU doesn't buy the consumer anything!

It makes the product cheaper to make. How much of that filters down to
the customer is debatable.

That is why things as mundane as a washing machine or microwave timer
is a CPU.
There is a processor in my "dumb" Samsung.

There's a processor in your mouse. Another in our keyboard. Another in
your CD/DVD drive. Another in your network interface. etc.

(Welcome to *my* world! : )

My original point, thanks