Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 11:51:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 2:25:49 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I have a big bunch of computer type power cords but very few A/C extension
cords. Any easy cheap way to convert a few? All I can think of is to cut
off the female plug and put on a standard three-wire A.C female plug. Am I
overlooking an easier cheaper way?

Your method should work fine other than the fact that the cords aren't very long. Once you start stringing them together for length, you'll run into issues with sections unplugging, possible voltage drops at every screw/plug-socket connection, etc. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble or expense to get any decent length of cord. You might as well just go buy one.

I have in fact made short ones, like the one I have behind my recliner for the times my iPad or phone needs to be charged while I'm sitting there, or for Christmas decorations, etc. They are typically decent cords, so as long as you buy quality socket ends, you'll end up with a decent extension cord.

Other uses include replacement cords for appliances and suicide cables for the workshop. I am not recommending that you make or use a suicide cable, I'm just saying that old computer cords make good ones.

Big problem is they are "generally" very light duty. Almost every one
I have around right now is only 18 guage -good for something between
2.3 and 7 amps, more or less, depending on length. Not much good as a
"general purpose" extention cord.