Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

On 9/2/2015 11:25 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a big bunch of computer type power cords but very few A/C extension
cords. Any easy cheap way to convert a few? All I can think of is to cut
off the female plug and put on a standard three-wire A.C female plug. Am I
overlooking an easier cheaper way?

It's typically not worth the effort. You end up with a cheap, light-gauge
(low ampacity), short cord.

I have some longer (12-15 ft) 14AWG "modular power cords" that are plugged in,
permanently, in my office. They are handy when I need to connect some piece
of kit with a modular power inlet.

When faced with something with a genuine *plug* on the end (e.g., a wall
wart for something), I slip an adapter onto the cord that terminates in
a regular nema socket. In this way, getting the benefit of a "universal"
extension cord.