Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default 415V sticker in household meter box

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:52:41 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:15:29 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
news "Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news Have a look at an electrical installation certificate.

Haven't got one, you tell me, you're the electrician. There is
no
reason to need anything other than access to earth, live,
neutral,
see what breakers are there or fit one, and check the amperage
is
sufficient.

I have already told you. You need info from the cutout. The CU
info
means **** all to your question

You're not telling me anything. In his CU the sparky would see the
amperage available to the house, the type of breakers in use, and
have
access to live, neutral, and earth. He needs nothing more to fit
shower.

ARW, if you know differently, please have the good manners to tell
us
specifically where we are wrong, rather than resorting to abuse and
bland statements like "see the certificate" and "see the cutout"
which
don't of themselves explain your reasoning if we've never seen a
certificate or cutout. If you can't be bothered to explain, tell us
and we'll ask someone who can.

And tell us the specific points that you are making rather than
quoting
a URL to a long document which has the info embedded somewhere with
it.

As a matter of principle. I would never be so unhelpful and
ill-mannered as to say (effectively) "you're wrong but I can't be
bothered to explain where/why you are wrong - you need to consult
[documentation that you have never seen]".

What long URL are you talking about?

As a matter of principal I am never rude to the OP as he is always
polite
to me (and he has some good sigs)

How more helpful could I be? I said that the cutout gives the
electrical
installer the info needed to fill in an installation certificate,

my cutout has no information on it at all. - apart from the fact that
it
was "Made in England" by Henley. I know from experience that is a 3
phase
unit.

And can you work out the earthing arrangements from looking at the cut
out?

The earthing arrangements on 100% of houses are..... it's earthed.

Even if that was true (I have seen unearthed supplies) you would still
need
to know what type of earthing is used.

Checking the earth is a requirement when you install a new circuit. You
test
the earth to make sure it meets the requirements set down by the DNO (I
have
seen quite a few fail that test) if they are supplying the earth.

There are various ways to supply earthing (either via the supplier or you
supply your own) and knowing the earthing type determines how you can
install a new circuit to a CU.

TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing
than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

My house has a fuse box, no breakers of any kind. What would you do if I
asked you to install a shower?

I would do the job to the IET regs as per my quote for the job.

Be more specific. Would you fit a breaker of any kind? What if I told you not to bother?

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

:-)

--
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.