Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default 415V sticker in household meter box

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
news
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news Have a look at an electrical installation certificate.

Haven't got one, you tell me, you're the electrician. There is no
reason to need anything other than access to earth, live, neutral,
see what breakers are there or fit one, and check the amperage is
sufficient.

I have already told you. You need info from the cutout. The CU info
means **** all to your question

You're not telling me anything. In his CU the sparky would see the
amperage available to the house, the type of breakers in use, and have
access to live, neutral, and earth. He needs nothing more to fit a
shower.

ARW, if you know differently, please have the good manners to tell us
specifically where we are wrong, rather than resorting to abuse and
bland statements like "see the certificate" and "see the cutout" which
don't of themselves explain your reasoning if we've never seen a
certificate or cutout. If you can't be bothered to explain, tell us
and we'll ask someone who can.

And tell us the specific points that you are making rather than quoting
a URL to a long document which has the info embedded somewhere with it.

As a matter of principle. I would never be so unhelpful and
ill-mannered as to say (effectively) "you're wrong but I can't be
bothered to explain where/why you are wrong - you need to consult
[documentation that you have never seen]".

What long URL are you talking about?

As a matter of principal I am never rude to the OP as he is always polite
to me (and he has some good sigs)

How more helpful could I be? I said that the cutout gives the electrical
installer the info needed to fill in an installation certificate,

my cutout has no information on it at all. - apart from the fact that it
was "Made in England" by Henley. I know from experience that is a 3 phase
unit.

And can you work out the earthing arrangements from looking at the cut out?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

The earthing arrangements on 100% of houses are..... it's earthed.

--
Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:40:00 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , ARW
wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 18:28:07 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 18:15:32 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:20:18 +0100, ARW
wrote:

I have no reason to believe a sparky went in there, all a sparky
did was fit an electric shower, switching off the master switch
on the fusebox inside the house would have sufficed.

Well the sparks would need to see what sort of supply it was if he
was going to fill in an electrical installation certificate for
the shower.

What information could he possibly get from the meter box that
would be applicable to installing a shower? Everything he needs
to connect to is in the consumer unit, and labelled for him.

Let's see.

Type of supply (ie earthing arrangements),

The earth will be available in the consumer unit. He connects to
that, not in the meter box.

number and type of live conductors,

You can see in the consumer unit what is available. In this case,
one 100A 240V conductor.

details of protective device.

Which is in the consumer unit.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Have a look at an electrical installation certificate.

Haven't got one, you tell me, you're the electrician. There is no
reason to need anything other than access to earth, live, neutral, see
what breakers are there or fit one, and check the amperage is
sufficient.

I have already told you. You need info from the cutout. The CU info means
**** all to your question

This house has a 3 phase cutout. Until we sufffered a loss of supply in
the road last summer I assumed we had a 3 phase supply. It turned out we
only had 2 phases incoming. No idea why.

Can you get two phase equipment? That would be rather uneven. Maybe, like my Dad, someone wanted more juice.

--
A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 09:24:09 +0100, Richard wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message news

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:09:43 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

snip

Idiot. I asked a simple question. The only reason for this thread is to
find out if my father has three phases.

Oh ****. Why didn't you say so?
Connect him to a three phase machine. If it works, he's got three phases and
you've got a source of free energy.

Got three phases blanked off I meant.

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 07:55:59 +0100, harry wrote:

On Saturday, 29 August 2015 16:32:13 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:25:50 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 13:42:47 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
My father has said he has a 415V sticker on the feed into his meter
box.
From what he's told me there is the normal arrangement of master fuse,
meter, then into the house to the consumer unit. The house was
built in
1985ish and is detached. I've never seen inside the meterbox myself,
only the consumer unit, which looked like a normal run of the mill row
of circuit breakers with one master at the end, 100A. If there were
three phases in the meterbox I'd expect his description to include a
lot
more.

You don't need three phase for 415v - only two. And at one point it was
common to install two phases to allow electric heating.

Was that not split phase?

It is not the same thing as two lines from a 3 phase as you have 460V
on a
split line.

Rarer than a 15 year old virgin in Rotherham but they do exist.

This is in the Scottish Highlands and the house was built around 1985.
Is it likely to have two phases there? It's not in the middle of
nowhere, it's in a village with about 400 houses.

It is possible that the original owner had 3 phase installed complete
with appropriate meter to power his interests. A subsequent owner would
have then been faced with a higher standing charge and possibly reduced
options when shopping around for lower tariffs and so it would have been
economic (and possibly free) to have the meter changed to single phase.

The way to tell would be to look for three phase and neutral coming in
and the probability of two empty fuse carriers with wires going in and
none coming out.

One has to wonder at the abilities of the sparky who could not have seen
that for himself!!

I've just checked my own meter box, and my master fuse has a 415V rating on it! I definitely only have one phase. Very strange. Why would a master fuse need a 415V rating? If I had three phases, surely I'd have three fuses, one on each phase, so they'd still only need to be rated at 240V each.

--
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.

Many electrical items are marked with the MAXIMUM voltage they are suitable for.
That doesn't mean that they are actually running at that voltage.

It just seemed odd that it happened to be the voltage of 3 phase. I guess it's for the reason I posted afterwards, in case you have three phases and short two together.

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

I can - there's a yellow/green wire coming out of the neutral connection -
as well as a black wire.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Even if that was true (I have seen unearthed supplies) you would still need
to know what type of earthing is used.

Checking the earth is a requirement when you install a new circuit. You test
the earth to make sure it meets the requirements set down by the DNO (I have
seen quite a few fail that test) if they are supplying the earth.

There are various ways to supply earthing (either via the supplier or you
supply your own) and knowing the earthing type determines how you can
install a new circuit to a CU.

TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

And that info is needed should you need to fit a new circuit to the CU.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:17:29 +0100, ARW wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Why would it matter at all? All you need to know is the house has an earth (which can be assumed), and whether or not it has an ELCB, which will be un the CU, not the meter box.

--
Statistics show that 25% of all women are on medication for mental illness.
That's scary! It means 75% are running around with no bloody medication at all!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:15:29 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

I never took you for a health and softy moron. An earth is an earth. Perhaps if you were fitting sensitive scientific equipment, or a CB radio....

Besides, if the earth sux, that's the EB's fault, not yours. You just added a circuit to a house that had a **** earth already. You were asked to install a shower, not check out the whole existing wiring.

--
Local police hunting the "knitting needle nutter", who has stabbed six people in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:15:29 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

I assume what you're after is how good the earth is. So stick a stake in the ground, and measure the impedance from that to the earth in the CU you're connecting the shower to. Again, no need to look in the meter box, and no advantage in doing so.

--
Local police hunting the "knitting needle nutter", who has stabbed six people in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:15:29 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

My house has a fuse box, no breakers of any kind. What would you do if I asked you to install a shower?

--
Local police hunting the "knitting needle nutter", who has stabbed six people in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

circuit to a CU.

TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing
than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

I never took you for a health and softy moron.

There is not a H&S rule that I have not broken, it does not mean that my
electrical work is **** or dangerous.

An earth is an earth. Perhaps if you were fitting sensitive scientific
equipment, or a CB radio....

Besides, if the earth sux, that's the EB's fault, not yours. You just
added a circuit to a house that had a **** earth already. You were asked
to install a shower, not check out the whole existing wiring.

Well the test would show if the EB's earth is wank and if it is then they
can correct it (for free).

Not all installations have an EB earth.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

I would do the job to the IET regs as per my quote for the job.

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2015 16:15:34 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

WTF do they spend the first year learning???

I'd have thought 2nd year would be difficult stuff like motor theory.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

circuit to a CU.

TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing
than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

I never took you for a health and softy moron.

There is not a H&S rule that I have not broken, it does not mean that my
electrical work is **** or dangerous.

But we're talking about you testing someone else's work. And a dodgy earth is hardly the end of the world. If you fit the shower well, it will never need the earth.

An earth is an earth. Perhaps if you were fitting sensitive scientific
equipment, or a CB radio....

Besides, if the earth sux, that's the EB's fault, not yours. You just
added a circuit to a house that had a **** earth already. You were asked
to install a shower, not check out the whole existing wiring.

Well the test would show if the EB's earth is wank and if it is then they
can correct it (for free).

Not all installations have an EB earth.

You should charge extra for testing previous installations.

--
McMurphy fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a paper bag filled with vegetable soup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:00 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Be more specific. Would you fit a breaker of any kind? What if I told you not to bother?

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

:-)

--
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Sunday, 30 August 2015 16:15:34 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing
than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

WTF do they spend the first year learning???

How to use Facebook or Twitter on a mobile phone?

I'd have thought 2nd year would be difficult stuff like motor theory.

WTF did they learn at school or at home?

The majority of new starters education and manners get worse every year. And
I do blame the parents not the teachers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news year electrical apprentice.

My house has a fuse box, no breakers of any kind. What would you do if
asked you to install a shower?

I would do the job to the IET regs as per my quote for the job.

Be more specific. Would you fit a breaker of any kind? What if I told
you not to bother?

I would do the job to the IET regs, that would probably mean RCD peotection.

If you told me not to bother then I would not bother to turn up and do the
job as I am not a DIYer electrician so I have to follow some rules.

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

:-)

I suppose I could let you do that for me if you caught him on Facebook
instead of working.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:17:29 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Assume nothing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:20:24 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news year electrical apprentice.

My house has a fuse box, no breakers of any kind. What would you do if
asked you to install a shower?

I would do the job to the IET regs as per my quote for the job.

Be more specific. Would you fit a breaker of any kind? What if I told
you not to bother?

I would do the job to the IET regs, that would probably mean RCD peotection.

If you told me not to bother then I would not bother to turn up and do the
job as I am not a DIYer electrician so I have to follow some rules.

Tough, you lost a customer then. Do as the customer asks or bugger off. My house is fine with fuses now, just because I want a shower doesn't mean I want the rest of the house changed.

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

:-)

I suppose I could let you do that for me if you caught him on Facebook
instead of working.

I have a vice in the garage.

--
"Cowpoke" - someone who does not use cows for their intended purpose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:23:38 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:17:29 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

You're fitting a shower, not testing the house.

--
What's the most sensitive part of your anatomy when you're masturbating?
Your ears.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Assume nothing.

Must you really feed the troll? Can't you see he's a sad ******
desperate for attention, even if it's negative?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news year electrical apprentice.

My house has a fuse box, no breakers of any kind. What would you
do if
asked you to install a shower?

I would do the job to the IET regs as per my quote for the job.

Be more specific. Would you fit a breaker of any kind? What if I told
you not to bother?

I would do the job to the IET regs, that would probably mean RCD
peotection.

If you told me not to bother then I would not bother to turn up and do
the
job as I am not a DIYer electrician so I have to follow some rules.

Tough, you lost a customer then. Do as the customer asks or bugger
off. My house is fine with fuses now, just because I want a shower
doesn't mean I want the rest of the house changed.

Nothing tough about it. Electrician choose which customer they work for,
and one that wants work done outside the rules will get passed by anyone
wanting to retain their NIC membership.

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

:-)

I suppose I could let you do that for me if you caught him on Facebook
instead of working.

I have a vice in the garage.

I doubt you have vices anywhere else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news year electrical apprentice.

My house has a fuse box, no breakers of any kind. What would you do
if
asked you to install a shower?

I would do the job to the IET regs as per my quote for the job.

Be more specific. Would you fit a breaker of any kind? What if I told
you not to bother?

I would do the job to the IET regs, that would probably mean RCD
peotection.

If you told me not to bother then I would not bother to turn up and do
the
job as I am not a DIYer electrician so I have to follow some rules.

Tough, you lost a customer then. Do as the customer asks or bugger off.

Now the people most likely to tell you that (when it comes to cutting
corners) are pikeys and Pakistanis.

You would be surprised how often I bugger off with a smile on my face as I
turn down their offer of illegal/dangerous work.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Your loss of money.

--
Murphy says to Paddy, "What ya talkin into an envelope for?" "I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If the NIC membership requires you to pick and choose, I don't see why you'd want to be in it.

And probably punch an apprentice in the ********.

:-)

I suppose I could let you do that for me if you caught him on Facebook
instead of working.

I have a vice in the garage.

I doubt you have vices anywhere else.

Everywhere.

--
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

er.co.uk escribió:

Assume nothing.

Must you really feed the troll? Can't you see he's a sad ******
desperate for attention, even if it's negative?

It's easier than going to work and putting up with the apprentices.

Peter learns faster than them (or he could do if he wanted to)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

It would be if I lost the NICIEC membership of the firm.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:29:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Assume nothing.

Must you really feed the troll? Can't you see he's a sad ******
desperate for attention, even if it's negative?

Yes, he's an even more obvious troll today. He can't even do that
properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:20:24 +0100, ARW
wrote:

[...]

You don't need that. My neighbour has no accreditations and gets three times the work he has time to do.

Besides, why would someone who told you not to do something report you for not doing it?

--
After pleading no contest to burglarizing Britney Spears's home, four men received three years of probation.
All they had to do was sign an agreement not to reveal what they stole from the house or how many batteries it took.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

Assume nothing.

Must you really feed the troll? Can't you see he's a sad ******
desperate for attention, even if it's negative?

it would seem that people here just can't see that
phuckerprick is long term unemployed, a sad lonely excuse for a man with a
small dick, a 40 year old failure, can't keep a woman, has cat fleas, a
filthy home and no money
he wanks off after every reply and you lot are holding his wanking hand

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

Assume nothing.

Must you really feed the troll? Can't you see he's a sad ******
desperate for attention, even if it's negative?

It's easier than going to work and putting up with the apprentices.

Peter learns faster than them (or he could do if he wanted to)

As you say he could, but he doesn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

Assume nothing.

Must you really feed the troll? Can't you see he's a sad ******
desperate for attention, even if it's negative?

it would seem that people here just can't see that
phuckerprick is long term unemployed, a sad lonely excuse for a man with a
small dick, a 40 year old failure, can't keep a woman, has cat fleas, a
filthy home and no money
he wanks off after every reply and you lot are holding his wanking hand

Curious that your fetish seems to be *his* wanking. Does this mean he
passed on your bum? Is your issue he preferred his own hand over your
arsehole?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:54:38 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing
than a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

WTF do they spend the first year learning???

How to turn up in the morning, and how Adam likes his coffee.

Few of them seem to get as far as the second year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2015 18:43:05 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
WTF do they spend the first year learning???

How to turn up in the morning, and how Adam likes his coffee.
Few of them seem to get as far as the second year.

The current tribe appear not to be getting as far as the second month.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:40:00 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That isn't the reason for a 2 phase supply. That is done
because there isn't enough current on a single phase
supply, usually because electrical heating is used there.

That would be rather uneven. Maybe, like my Dad, someone wanted more
juice.

Yes, that is the usual reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 30 August 2015 16:15:34 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
TBH there is not a lot to it. You should learn about the differences in
earthing types and then you would be more knowledgeable about earthing
than
a 2nd year electrical apprentice.

WTF do they spend the first year learning???

How to avoid getting punched in the balls by Adam, stupid.

I'd have thought 2nd year would be difficult stuff like motor theory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

When the house burns down and the insurance company tells him to go and ****
himself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 30 August 2015 18:43:05 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
WTF do they spend the first year learning???

How to turn up in the morning, and how Adam likes his coffee.
Few of them seem to get as far as the second year.

The current tribe appear not to be getting as far as the second month.

Bet the one that started a week late does.

Trumpet valve oil household substitute (will 3-in-1 household oil work)? sam bruno Home Repair 34 July 6th 16 12:44 PM
Net Worth of Average Canadian Household Far Exceeds US Household Since2011 Ed[_10_] Home Repair 21 July 19th 12 04:23 AM
Net Worth of Average Canadian Household Far Exceeds US Household Since2011 Ed[_10_] Home Ownership 21 July 19th 12 04:23 AM
240v supply from 415V ? BodgeIt UK diy 3 March 25th 10 10:45 AM
415V immersion on 240V supply andrew UK diy 12 March 17th 10 05:46 PM