Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this idea crazy?

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:21:35 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 8/29/2015 12:28 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I've looked monthly for going on 3 years now and haven't found a brick
in stock anywhere locally. And I don't want to shoot up my last
brick, so I'm not shooting .22 any more. sigh

I win on this one, I still have 10 bricks that I got on sale for $15
each. But, it's still cheaper to shoot centerfire for me. Primer=2
cents, cast bullet=nothing and powder is almost nothing. The only
expense is time and I can easily load 300/hr. I've been going through
1k rounds/month again, mostly .38 DEWC.

Ive got more than 3 cases of 22lr in the magazine. But its still
cheaper to shoot .45 auto than it is to buy new 22lr

I got home at 3:30 AM this morning from LA and had to be at the range
60 miles away at 8am for my CCW requal (ever 2 yrs here) and was
groggily pulling out ammo from my ready supply..and discovered I was
down to 1 box of old Aguila 45 ACP, 40 rds of 357..and zero 38
specials..and 200 rds of 9mm. GACK!!
So I took the .41 Mag Mod 57 and qualified with it. Its been 2 yrs
since I shot a combat course with it...so this time..sigh...I came in
second (by 2 points) rather than the usual 1st with the 45s.

I had to relearn its DA trigger all over again which took almost 8
rds...embaressing. Got a source for a smooth Mod 57 trigger?

I need brass as well. No idea where the ammo I shot came from...but
over half the cases split in the body of the cartridge. Brass had
started to decay badly and they werent loaded very warm. I recall
buying a couple hundred rounds years ago at a gun show..I think this
was the ammo. All my good stuff is in 100 packs that I reloaded 2 yrs
ago. I should have brought one of those...shrug.
41 Mag is not very common these days....

Chuckle..all the 40s and the 9s and the 45s...no one out there had
ever seen a .41 except the rangemaster and he carries a cutdown Mod
29...we chatted like lost brothers with the kiddies ooohing and awing
over our revolvers...laugh!

Gunner