Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default 415V sticker in household meter box

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:53:20 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:14:24 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I don't think there are empty fuse carriers lying about, my father
would
have said something.
Well in that case, changing to 3 phase will likely be expensive and not
necessarily based on actual cost from what I've heard others mention.

If the feed wire coming into his fusebox really is 415V, then a second
phase is just sat there. A second fuse holder and another meter won't
cost much will it?

But you need 3 phases.

No he doesn't. He just wants more amps at 240V. So using a second
phase for the boiler as though it were in a second house would do.

If the fuse holders are not there to terminate
the original cables. The two ways you have atm are neutral and one fused
live which provides 240v. The 415 sticker is a left over from before.

As I tried to suggest before, the Price for three phase connection is
NOT related to the Cost of doing the work.
Supply and demand at work here.

If the wire is already there, you pay for an Electricity Board
electrician to come and do some wiring, it would cost the same as any
other wiring by them which took that amount of time. They would
probably charge the same for reinstating a disconnected connection that
needs a new meter etc. Supply and Demand does not make sense in this
context.

I was forgetting that you know everything. But wait why did you ask the
question in the first place???