Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Large double ended wood screws

On 28/08/2015 10:48, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

On 28/08/2015 01:44, bigplns wrote:
replying to Andrew Mawson, bigplns wrote:
andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

I did something similar using studding. Set both ends in 2 part filler
so the holes didn't have to be 100% accurate

Good heavens this was a post I made YEARS ago. The solution that I
adopted was to weld large coach coach screws into the centre of 100 mm
plates which I bolted to the bridge oak sleepers (in rebates) I then
screwed the handrail uprights onto the coach screws and installed the
handrail. (This is curved bridge based on 10" x 6" RSJs that I had
rolled to an arc). This worked splendidly until my builder took his 3
ton digger over it carrying a massive tree root ball of at least a ton.
(Calculations for the bridge had been based on 2 ton max). The RSJs
flexed a bit with the result that the coach bolts pulled loose in the
end grain of the uprights and made the handrail wobbly. This I totally
cured by welding up what were effectively long eyebolts, the threaded
part of which went through the oak sleepers and were fixed with nuts and
washers under the roadway, and the eye went flat against the upright
through which I drilled a hole for a long bolt that picked up another
such eyebolt on the other side. It is now massively rigid and
grandchild proof

Andrew (the original poster of the question yonks ago !!!!! )

I wonder how that happened then?