Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Large double ended wood screws

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

On 28/08/2015 01:44, bigplns wrote:
replying to Andrew Mawson, bigplns wrote:
andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

I did something similar using studding. Set both ends in 2 part filler so
the holes didn't have to be 100% accurate

Good heavens this was a post I made YEARS ago. The solution that I adopted
was to weld large coach coach screws into the centre of 100 mm plates which
I bolted to the bridge oak sleepers (in rebates) I then screwed the handrail
uprights onto the coach screws and installed the handrail. (This is curved
bridge based on 10" x 6" RSJs that I had rolled to an arc). This worked
splendidly until my builder took his 3 ton digger over it carrying a massive
tree root ball of at least a ton. (Calculations for the bridge had been
based on 2 ton max). The RSJs flexed a bit with the result that the coach
bolts pulled loose in the end grain of the uprights and made the handrail
wobbly. This I totally cured by welding up what were effectively long
eyebolts, the threaded part of which went through the oak sleepers and were
fixed with nuts and washers under the roadway, and the eye went flat against
the upright through which I drilled a hole for a long bolt that picked up
another such eyebolt on the other side. It is now massively rigid and
grandchild proof

Andrew (the original poster of the question yonks ago !!!!! )