Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default Time to Upgrade ?:-}

Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/08/2015 19:28, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:16:51 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I think it's time I upgraded my 'Spice' machine... my present machine
is as follows... no laughter please... I've successfully done at least
at least 20 chip designs on this machine. What modern equivalent
should I replace it with?

====================================

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name:Analog3 (in ANALOG)

Profile Date:Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:59:53 AM

Operating System
Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack3 (build 2195)

[snip antidiluvian PC spec]

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

...Jim Thompson

I'm getting the general impression that I should avoid 64-bit to make
sure that my legacy programs will still work. Is that correct?

...Jim Thompson

No. Just buy the Win7 pro version of the OS so that you will have an XP
fallback license to run in a VM for any tetchy ancient 32 bit apps. You
could do it manually with one of several other VM products but I am
guessing you don't get on with software so the MS out of the box
solution is probably your path of least resistance.

If you have 32 bit apps to worry about, how come you don't have media
for it? I made an image of my old XP machine and can run it as a VM at
will. I even tested the OEM install; it works and was activated
with Microsoft .

Expect some problems with very old installers on 64bit OS but most
things will run in a 32bit VM unless they are very badly behaved.

Nearly everything runs on Win7 64 bit IME.

Many 32 bit programs will run OK on the 64bit OS although their
installers which use archaic 16bit components may not!

The huge advantage of 64 bit memory space being 4GB is worth it!

--
Les Cargill