Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default when you know you should have hired a pro and free oak lumber andyou cut and you haul

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 2:16:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 13:01:02 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:47:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 08/22/2015 10:03 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

And if that's the direction of a (valuable) obstacle one does what,
exactly???

Hire a boom truck and take it down in pieces.

Tree sefvice took down a HUGE maple in the neighbour's back yard
ratlier this year. They did it all with simple rope slings, most of it
coming down in chunks 4 feet long or less. The only power tools they
used were a chain saw and a big chipper out on the street. The cutter
went up the tree, cut off a few branches, tied on with his sling, and
cut off all the branched piece by piece, dropping them with a rope
sling, then went up the tree with spurs and belt,. and cut chunks off
above the belt- pushing them off as he went. Surprising how fast that
tree came down!!!!!

Watching the pros do it is pretty neat. The swing around and make it look easy with a chainsaw on their belts. We have a friend who does it for us when we need it. I can fell a lot of trees in the right direction with the proper notch cut, but the larger trees are really the province of the pros.