Posted to rec.woodworking

Default when you know you should have hired a pro and free oak lumber andyou cut and you haul

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mr8g10$euf$1
@dont-email.me:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

My uncle was cutting down a tree near a large metal building not long ago.
He had the tree almost ready to fall, and a big gust of wind came up and
did it for him... Right on to the building. Oops.

(I was not there, but did see the downed building.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in :

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

Whoever cut that, obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2015 8:37 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in :

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

Whoever cut that, obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree.

LOL. He said that he had to take the tree down. I bet it was for fear
that if he didn't it wold one day fall on the house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

Electric Comet wrote in
news:mr8g10$euf$1 @dont-email.me:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

My uncle was cutting down a tree near a large metal building not long
ago. He had the tree almost ready to fall, and a big gust of wind
came up and did it for him... Right on to the building. Oops.

(I was not there, but did see the downed building.)

The one time I cut down a tree and it was important that it
fall in a particular direction, I tied a rope around it a
ways up the trunk, and used a pickup truck to keep tension
on it in the direction I wanted the tree to fall (having
made sure the rope was long enough that the tree didn't
fall on the truck, fortunately).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Electric Comet wrote in
:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

Whoever cut that, obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree.

One might think twice about taking the guy up on his offer to help cut it
up...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 13:52:12 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

The one time I cut down a tree and it was important that it
fall in a particular direction, I tied a rope around it a
ways up the trunk, and used a pickup truck to keep tension
on it in the direction I wanted the tree to fall (having
made sure the rope was long enough that the tree didn't
fall on the truck, fortunately).

i saw a video where they did this sort of
the rope was not taught though they waited until tree was loose
i thought that the bumper was going to come off or some other mishap

it was more like a giant 25 foot stump
they cut it and store it for 10-15 years

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 13:37:39 +0000 (UTC)
Doug Miller wrote:

Whoever cut that, obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree.

it is possible they know a lot
but what they know is all wrong
on their way to becoming pro maybe

there are some notes in the scribners book (in other thread) about
felling trees

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/22/2015 10:03 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

And if that's the direction of a (valuable) obstacle one does what,
exactly???

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mra2sj$26i$1
@dont-email.me:

i saw a video where they did this sort of
the rope was not taught though they waited until tree was loose
i thought that the bumper was going to come off or some other mishap

Yeah, that occurred to me when I did it. So I tied the
rope to the trailer hitch. I figured if the hitch is good
to pull an umpteen thousand pound trailer, it's good to
keep a rope (with a few hundred pound breaking point)
taut for a while.

Speaking of which, today's safety reminder - if you have
a taut rope, keep any spectators well back from the
scene. If it breaks, it's going to act like a whip and
mow down anyone within range.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:47:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 08/22/2015 10:03 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

And if that's the direction of a (valuable) obstacle one does what,
exactly???

Hire a boom truck and take it down in pieces.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/22/2015 1:01 PM, Markem wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:47:31 -0500, wrote:

On 08/22/2015 10:03 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

And if that's the direction of a (valuable) obstacle one does what,
exactly???

Hire a boom truck and take it down in pieces.

One alternative, certainly, the point was general advice must be
tempered by facts of the case...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 13:01:02 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:47:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 08/22/2015 10:03 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

And if that's the direction of a (valuable) obstacle one does what,
exactly???

Hire a boom truck and take it down in pieces.

Tree sefvice took down a HUGE maple in the neighbour's back yard
ratlier this year. They did it all with simple rope slings, most of it
coming down in chunks 4 feet long or less. The only power tools they
used were a chain saw and a big chipper out on the street. The cutter
went up the tree, cut off a few branches, tied on with his sling, and
cut off all the branched piece by piece, dropping them with a rope
sling, then went up the tree with spurs and belt,. and cut chunks off
above the belt- pushing them off as he went. Surprising how fast that
tree came down!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

And if that's the direction of a (valuable) obstacle one does what,
exactly???

can read about it in that scribners book

if you have limits on where you can fell it then you just may end up
having to lose some of the wood due to splitting because your only
choice is to fell it in the direction it leans (or opposite of lean)

but if you are really limited then you cut it down piece by piece just
like any urban tree trimmer would do

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

wrote in news:taihtap0dk3f1n1pg202rraakahvfoc7dr@
4ax.com:

Tree sefvice took down a HUGE maple in the neighbour's back yard
ratlier this year. They did it all with simple rope slings, most of
it coming down in chunks 4 feet long or less. The only power tools
they used were a chain saw and a big chipper out on the street. The
cutter went up the tree, cut off a few branches, tied on with his
sling, and cut off all the branched piece by piece, dropping them
with a rope sling, then went up the tree with spurs and belt,. and
cut chunks off above the belt- pushing them off as he went.
Surprising how fast that tree came down!!!!!

Always fun to watch experts at work. They certainly get things done
efficiently. :-)

Of course, then there's the experts who don't. I recall
seeing video on CNN several years ago of a tree service
using a crane to lift a large tree out of a backyard, over
the house. Since it wouldn't be news if it had worked as
planned, you know what happened next: the tree got dropped
on the house, causing all manner of damage.

There was some reason why it couldn't be taken down piece-
wise, but I don't recall what it was.

Around here the power company has been replacing poles. The
way they do it is to lift the new pole vertically with a very
tall crane, and thread it down thru the wires. Then they
fasten the wires to the new pole, detach from the old, and
pull the old one out vertically the same way. It looks like
there's any manner of ways that could go wrong, but they
don't seem to have caused any blackouts yet...

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2015 4:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Of course, then there's the experts who don't. I recall
seeing video on CNN several years ago of a tree service
using a crane to lift a large tree out of a backyard, over
the house. Since it wouldn't be news if it had worked as
planned, you know what happened next: the tree got dropped
on the house, causing all manner of damage.

There was some reason why it couldn't be taken down piece-
wise, but I don't recall what it was.

Could be it was going to be transplanted. There is a machine that cuts
a huge root ball and takes the entire tree out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

don't fell them in the direction they lean or opposite of lean
instead as perpendicular as is possible

You just keep on reading your books. Those of us who actually do this kind
of thing will simply keep on doing what we know to do.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mra337$26i$2@dont-
email.me:

Doug Miller wrote:

Whoever cut that, obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree.

it is possible they know a lot
but what they know is all wrong

That's not meaningfully different from knowing nothing at all. I repeat, whoever cut that
obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree. Look at the picture again: there's one cut.

Just one.

One horizontal cut about 90% of the way through the trunk, before the tree snapped off and
fell in the direction it would obviously fall.

You're *supposed* to notch it on the side you want it to fall toward: *two* cuts, not one, like
this:

Then make a horizontal cut from the other side, above the notch, and the tree falls toward
the notch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Whoever cut that, obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree.

it is possible they know a lot
but what they know is all wrong

That's not meaningfully different from knowing nothing at all. I repeat, whoever cut that
obviously knows nothing at all about felling a tree. Look at the picture again: there's one cut.

Just one.

One horizontal cut about 90% of the way through the trunk, before the tree snapped off and
fell in the direction it would obviously fall.

You're *supposed* to notch it on the side you want it to fall toward: *two* cuts, not one, like
this:

Then make a horizontal cut from the other side, above the notch, and the tree falls toward
the notch.

Unless it is grossly overbalanced the other way, in which case it just
"kicks" and still falls toward the lean. anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message ...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...047593403.html

YouTube has a bunch of tree falling fails...

After watching the videos, and having been certified through the Game of
Logging program, I'm starting to think you should need a license and
mandatory training to buy and/or use a chainsaw!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Learned years ago there are certain tasks best left to others.

The list starts with brain surgery self taught followed by laying
concrete and felling trees.

As I get older, no longer use ladders, work the foredeck of sailboats,
or other tasks best left to the 18-30 crowd.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Learned years ago there are certain tasks best left to others.

The list starts with brain surgery self taught followed by laying
concrete and felling trees.

As I get older, no longer use ladders, work the foredeck of sailboats,
or other tasks best left to the 18-30 crowd.

Lew

Did you ever try laying concrete? If so, how did it go? A question
that concerns me is whether one can sledge out a few cubic feet of
concrete, and just replace that. If so, I might have a go at it.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

Did you ever try laying concrete? If so, how did it go? A
question that concerns me is whether one can sledge out a few cubic
feet of concrete, and just replace that. If so, I might have a go at
it.

Bill

Was going to expand a slab patio by adding 12-14 ft x 18-20 ft slab.

Stripped off all the sod, set the forms, and added foundry sand
available
at the right price from the local FoMoCo foundry.

Set the forms along with the black spacer strips for expansion.

Starting getting prices for concrete and something kept telling me
to talk to a concrete contractor before I jumped into this project.

My daughter who was in the 1st grade at the time had just fallen
in love for the first time with a classmate who was the son of a
concrete contractor.

I called the contractor, explained my situation, and asked if he would
at least look at the job.

He looked, was impressed with the form work and agreed to do the job.

On the appointed day, his crew showed up, complete with a gasoline
powered concrete buggy to bring the concrete from the truck at the
street
to the project area.

Suddenly a roll of wire mesh appeared and was placed inside the forms.

The 2nd thing I hadn't thought about, damn I was luck I listened to my
little voice.

The project went well. It could have been a disaster.

Went on to add a slanted shed roof off the house and have some
wrought iron columns fabricated and had many years of enjoyment.

Up to that point, had limited my concrete work to many small jobs
using
bags of concrete from the local K-Mmart.

Your project would seem to fit into the K-Mart category.

Knock out enough concrete to get a smooth surface to butt up against
and you are in business.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

Thank you Lew! I enjoyed your story.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

That's not meaningfully different from knowing nothing at all. I
repeat, whoever cut that obviously knows nothing at all about felling
a tree. Look at the picture again: there's one cut.

might not be meaningful but then again it might be
i have seen a lot of people claiming to be expert in lots of different
endeavors
but they do things that reveal they are not expert

that picture is not very good
but what difference does it make
it was done wrong and they did it using wrong knowledge

i heard that an expert is someone who has made all the mistakes
that are possible so maybe that tree feller (fella) is on their way to
becoming expert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:43:04 -0400
wrote:

Unless it is grossly overbalanced the other way, in which case it just
"kicks" and still falls toward the lean. anyway.

i have heard of that and as mentioned by others wind can be a factor

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Unless it is grossly overbalanced the other way, in which case it just
"kicks" and still falls toward the lean. anyway.

i have heard of that and as mentioned by others wind can be a factor

That's what he should tell his insurance company! --LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Unless it is grossly overbalanced the other way, in which case it
just "kicks" and still falls toward the lean. anyway.

i have heard of that and as mentioned by others wind can be a factor

Sure can. I was felling a tree many years ago, and at that time I had many
years of experience at felling trees. I'm quite careful when I bring down
trees, and have never been reckless at the task. On this particular day the
tree I was felling had some lean to it and I was attempting to drop it with
the lean. Should have been a walk in the park. Made my notch, and was into
my felling cut when the wind came up. It was not a windy day, and this wind
just came up... from the wrong direction. It brought the tree back into my
felling cut, pinched my saw in the cut, and brought the tree over the wrong
way. Sitting not far enough away was my pickup. Guess where that tree
went! Fortunately, the branches pretty much forked around my truck and only
some smaller ones hit the truck, causing very minor damage. Could have been
a lot worse. What was worse was that my saw was pinched in the cut and when
the tree came far enough over, it jumped the stump. Out comes my saw and it
fell to the ground. Down comes the butt of the tree - right on my saw.
Completely destroyed the saw. Fortunately, I watch my tree all the while
when I dropping it, and I realized what was happening with time to beat feet
away from the tree. Had the perfect view of the carnage in real time.

**** can happen even when you know what you're doing and even when you're
careful.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

That's not meaningfully different from knowing nothing at all. I
repeat, whoever cut that obviously knows nothing at all about felling
a tree. Look at the picture again: there's one cut.

might not be meaningful but then again it might be
i have seen a lot of people claiming to be expert in lots of different
endeavors
but they do things that reveal they are not expert

that picture is not very good
but what difference does it make
it was done wrong and they did it using wrong knowledge

Maybe the tree was fell right and the house was built in the wrong spot.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Gotta say, three cheers for the tree--you may have killed it but it got
its revenge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 03:05:36 -0400
Bill wrote:

That's what he should tell his insurance company! --LOL

i wonder what this kind of accident would fall under
i would claim an act of god
and see where that goes

maybe they should have had a fire right around the same time

it is possible that they are tsol

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

That's what he should tell his insurance company! --LOL

i wonder what this kind of accident would fall under
i would claim an act of god
and see where that goes

Yeah right! Was god on the end of that chainsaw?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 01:35:10 -0400, Bill
wrote:

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

As a young teanager working on the farm (98 lbs soaking wet carrying a
hay bale) I and the boss did all the forming, mixing, and pouring
concrete for the installation of a stable cleaner, as well as the
floor of the hog stable and half the manure yard - all with a little
electric mixer (1 HP electric motor) using bags of portland and gravel
from the pit on the farm. I don't know how many yards of concrete I
mixed, wheelbarrowed, and trowelled that summer - but it was a LOT!!!!
Thankfully a broom finish was all all we needed -but that was enough
work for the two of us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Watching the pros do it is pretty neat. The swing around and make it look easy with a chainsaw on their belts. We have a friend who does it for us when we need it. I can fell a lot of trees in the right direction with the proper notch cut, but the larger trees are really the province of the pros.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 5:50:39 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

**** can happen even when you know what you're doing and even when you're
careful.

--

-Mike-

Truer words never spoken. Before I fell a tree, I always scout out my retreat path, just in case.

Free CNC lathe, you haul. JohnF Metalworking 4 January 16th 12 12:44 AM
Free lumber. Sort of. HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 16 February 11th 11 12:10 PM
free lumber Tater Home Repair 3 September 11th 08 05:01 AM
Building a Workbench and Lumber Storage Rack - Free Diagrams csb001 Woodworking 2 June 14th 07 10:53 PM
An acronym free musing about hired turners. L&S(long and silly) Arch Woodturning 35 January 8th 06 01:13 AM