Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does my UPS work?

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 11:05:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/21/2015 10:00 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Back home I have at least 4 desktop computers plugged into UPS units at one time and in my computer cave, I have a 1kw rack mount unit sitting on edge behind my 23" monitor and a pair of 500w units running the monitors, LED lights and networking equipment. When the power goes out, the only way I know is when the UPS units click, hum and beep. Back in January, I was home one night when the power went off and one 500w APC backup ran the LED desk lamps for 6.5 hours without a blink. I want to install new batteries in some of my collection of salvaged UPS units and plug LED lighting into them all around the house so there would be no danger of me tripping over something when the power goes out at night. I think everyone should buy some inexpensive backup units and plug in lamps around the house for those times when to power fails and people are stumbling around looking for flashlights and candles. LED lighting is most definitely safer than candles during a power outage. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle LED Monster

For about $10 you can get LED nightlights that come on bright and double
as a flashlight during a power failure. I also have two battery LED
lanterns that are nice and bright and will last 36 hours on a set of
batteries.

If I have my pants on, I have a flashlight on my belt and even on my key ring. If I get a new battery for each of my small backup power supplies and have the lamps in the living room and bedroom plugged into them, I won't have to worry about looking for a flashlight during a power failure. I even have an idea that I can adapt one for the lights in the bathroom because there is nothing worse than being in the shower or dropping a load of Ready Mix when the lights go out. I've been replacing CFL's with LED lamps when they fail so my lighting circuits could easily be adapted to run through a small UPS. I've purchased 120 volt A19 LED bulbs that produce an astonishingly amount of light from 85ma. It would be a fun project to have a home setup with a large UPS which uses those big Tesla produced batteries and a backup genset for those times when the grid is knocked out by a severe storm. I want to get back home so I can play with stuff. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster