Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default What is that whiteish stuff on bad batteries (ruins stuff)?

On 08/13/2015 9:35 PM, MNMikeW wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:52:50 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

Potassium Hydroxide - an alkaline (Alkaline batteries after all). Wash
off with a mild solution (50/50) of white vinegar and water, scrub, and
rinse with clean water carefully.

http://flippers.com/battery.html

That article was nice, but I'm always suspicious when someone suggests
idiotic things such as "pure water" (goes with "kosher salt" in my book,
or with "organic eggs", etc.).

Oh, fine, then de-ionized distilled water if you want to get picky ;-).

It rarely makes much difference, at least for those of us who have rain
water as our supply (mountain runoff). If you have well water then the
alkalies in it could exacerbate the problem...

Consider that you have thin copper traces on your PCBs and they are made
by etching a coating of copper film with an alkaline solution to
generate the traces needed...you thus want to neutralize any alkaline
remaining (so no more etching occurs) and a mild acid is pretty good at
that. CLR works in a pinch...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com