Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dirty hot water

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:04:47 -0500, Ken wrote:

KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink
faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past
- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped
leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might
pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

I have seen that happen when the fire department flushes the fire
hydrants. Could it be they did that recently in your neighborhood??

That would dirty all the water in the heater - and the bathroom sink
too.

I'm voting for accumulated dirt in the pipes getting jarred loose by
jamming the tap closed quickly several times.