Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dirty hot water

Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink
faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past
- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped
leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might
pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 1:23:55 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink
faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past
- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped
leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might
pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

you have any galvanized water lines in your home?

that faucet might have been on when some dirt got in water line from saya leak repair on the street.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jul 2015 17:23:51 GMT, KenK wrote:

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

How old is the WH and type of pipes in the kitchen. I did have a WH
rust up when this house sat vacant for six months and little water was
used. Had never seen such before but replacing the WH fixed it. My
house is all PEX pipe with a manifold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote in
:

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 1:23:55 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen
sink faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done
in the past - turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times,
which has stopped leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention
this in case it might pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the
water started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the
bathroom, which is next to the water heater, and the hot water was
clear, so it wasn't the water heater. I let it run for several
minutes and it cleared up, and has remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

you have any galvanized water lines in your home?

AFAIK all copper originally with PVC repairs. I think that line is all
copper.

that faucet might have been on when some dirt got in water line from
saya leak repair on the street.

Nope, I have a well. Should have mentioned that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 30 Jul 2015 17:23:51 GMT, KenK wrote:

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the
water started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom,
which is next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it
wasn't the water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it
cleared up, and has remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

How old is the WH

A mobile home. Too lazy to look it up but probably 40 or more.

and type of pipes in the kitchen.

Again too lazy to go look - probably copper - if not, PVC.

I did have a WH
rust up when this house sat vacant for six months and little water was
used. Had never seen such before but replacing the WH fixed it. My
house is all PEX pipe with a manifold.

Hot water gets used at least twice a day in kitchen to do dishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 7/30/2015 1:23 PM, KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen
sink faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done
in the past - turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times,
which has stopped leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention
this in case it might pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the
water started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the
bathroom, which is next to the water heater, and the hot water was
clear, so it wasn't the water heater. I let it run for several
minutes and it cleared up, and has remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

Turning it off and on caused the water to stop abruptly and loosed up
some crap that has been accumulating for a long time.

That is a fairly common procedure when blowing down a steam boiler so
it looses up and gets the solids floating so they can be flushed out.

Ah. Sounds like a very good possibilty. Never happened before though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 30 Jul 2015 17:23:51 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink
faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past
- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped
leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might
pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

Washer colored dirty? That means black in most cases.

Your washer is falling apart? ;-) Not likely, but if the faucet
starts dripping much worse, save the old washer for physical and
chemical analysis!

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink
faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past
- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped
leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might
pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

I have seen that happen when the fire department flushes the fire
hydrants. Could it be they did that recently in your neighborhood??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote in :

KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen
sink faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done
in the past - turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times,
which has stopped leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention
this in case it might pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the
water started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the
bathroom, which is next to the water heater, and the hot water was
clear, so it wasn't the water heater. I let it run for several
minutes and it cleared up, and has remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

I have seen that happen when the fire department flushes the fire
hydrants. Could it be they did that recently in your neighborhood??

Out in the country. No hydrants, Using well water,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:04:47 -0500, Ken wrote:

KenK wrote:
Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink
faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past
- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped
leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might
pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water
started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is
next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the
water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has
remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

I have seen that happen when the fire department flushes the fire
hydrants. Could it be they did that recently in your neighborhood??

That would dirty all the water in the heater - and the bathroom sink
too.

I'm voting for accumulated dirt in the pipes getting jarred loose by
jamming the tap closed quickly several times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jul 2015 17:50:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

Too lazy to look it up

You trying to out-lazy me huh? I'm the laziest white man alive. Ask
my bride.

Dirty hot water mystery Tim+ UK diy 25 January 21st 13 02:29 PM
dirty hands, and hot water Ignoramus14054 Metalworking 0 February 28th 12 11:20 PM
Dirty water pump LSR UK diy 2 September 18th 07 03:23 PM
Dirty water pumps? Broadback UK diy 2 April 22nd 07 10:42 PM
Electric Hot Water - continual dirty 'yellow/brown' water Tim Home Repair 6 September 8th 05 06:01 AM