Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Garage Door Spring has sprung...

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 17:45:22 -0700, NedFlanders
wrote:

So one of the springs (one per garage door - there are two doors) has
snapped after 30+ years (they just don't make things like they used to)

I have been doing the work of the spring to put my truck away at night
(not leaving it out in this neighborhood).

Now I am sure I could replace the spring myself... I used to rewind the
cables and/or reset and balance the dual springs on a condo garage door
in my past (so I am sure I know what I am doing - I have seen all of the
warnings). But, these doors are 30+ years old. They are showing some
signs of rot along the bottom (Noted when I replaced the weather
stripping last summer) and the openers are original to the home...

I am trying to decide if it is time to get new metal doors, new hardware
and openers? From what I can see on-line all in I am probably looking at
$900 - $1400 CAD per door (installed).

Does anyone have recent experience or thoughts?

Thanks!

I had a non-insulate metal door (18'x7') installed last year.
Detached garage.
It replaced the wood one, which was about 50 years old.
That door was in decent shape, but since the hardware was 50 years old
and wood doors are very heavy I didn't want it over my head. Add to
that the electric opener was shot, and I hate painting.
It needed painting
The metal door with opener, keypad, entry door button and 2 remotes
cost $980 installed. Included hauling away the old door.
I like it. Less strain on the opener motor. No painting.
I think you can pick up the same door for about $4-500. I didn't
price openers. They installed a Genie.
I was going to do it myself but decided to get it installed after
considering the cost, hauling away old door, and having a pro do it.
The door has no handle, and for some reason I miss that.
Of course I could put one on, but I don't see a need for it.