Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Proper way to determine which GFCI circuit breaker is the correctreplacement for the current breaker

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 3:03:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 10:41:34 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 1:10:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
All,

I have a pool light that is not up to code according to the pool guy. He says that I need to update the electrical box by adding a GFCI circuit breaker for the pool light circuit. So I opened up the electrical box and found the breaker. These are the details:

Circuit breaker: 15 Amp, D type HOM, 10kA 120/240V, Issue no. DP-4075, HACR Type. And there are some other markings that I'm not sure matter.

Main breaker load center: I'm not 100% sure though it is a square D homeline much like the following, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...MVP5/100197589

And here is my question, I purchased a replacement gfci from home depot and I would like to make sure that I got the right one. My understanding is that these breakers are very standardized so as long as it fits and it is by the same manufacturer all should be well. The only thing that I've heard is that it should trigger at the 5mA current threshold as opposed to 100mA. Below is the link to the home depot page for the GFCI breaker and here are a few facts about it.

Square D Model # HOM115GFICP
Homeline 15 Amp Single-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker
Specifications read: "Class A denotes a ground fault circuit interrupter that will trip when a fault current to ground is 6 milliamperes or more.. This breaker is compatible with Homeline load centers and CSED devices."

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...FICP/100153356

Please let me know if I've done my homework and if I've purchased the correct GFCI breaker. I've looked at installation instructions online and it looks simple provided that you take proper precautions such as working on dry footing, and definitely making sure to turn of the main power.

Thanks!

What else is on that circuit besides the pool light? The current
breaker is rated for motor loads, "hvac", the replacement is not.
If you have a pool pump on it too, etc, then it might trip during
start up. But since it's just a single pole, I'm guessing it's
probably just the lights, maybe some outlets, in which case you're
fine. 5 ma vs 100ma, never heard of a GFCI breaker that trips at
100ma, that's so high you could be dead.

Thank you very much. I am not sure though I think that the pool light and some outlets are the only items in the circuit. Actually, there may be a garage opener as part of the circuit as well. Just for my reference,
1. how could you tell that the current breaker is 'hvac'?

2. would there be single pole GFCI breakers that are rated for motor loads and if so would you provide a sample link with one?

Much appreciated.

The "HACR" on the old breaker indicates it was for motor loads
like those found in HVAC. Did a bit of googling and it looks
like while breakers were required to go through additional testing
for eqpt with motor loads like HVAC to get the HACR rating
they determined that all
breakers were passing it anyway and the reqt no longer exists.
So a GFCI breaker that is listed for use, ie compatible with
your panel will be fine whether it has the pool pump on it or
not.

Also, some comments were made about the installation not being done
competently. That would be true if GFCI was required at the time
it was installed, but not if it's an old pre-GFCI pool. Certainly
is a good idea to put one in.