Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 7/22/15 3:55 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 22:20:03 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 7/20/15 10:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/20/2015 7:52 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I remember reading something about the city of San Francisco finding
it necessary to use thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals to flush
their sewer systems because of the widespread adoption of water saving
toilets and plumbing fixtures not putting enough water into the sewer
system to flush queer poop down the line to the sewage treatment
plant. The law of unintended results strikes La La Land again and
again. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Sewer Monster

I can believe that. Our 1.6 gpf toilets do a great job of clearing the
bowl, but I always wonder about moving things down the line to the
street. I double flush often, not from need,, but for safety.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Can+Your+Plumbing+System+Handle+a+LowFlow+Toile t_1350913159827_

Lowes says a waste pipe should work fine if the slope is between 1/8 and
1/4 inch per foot.

If the slope isn't right, you can have a plumber fix it or use a
pressure-assisted toilet.

That still may not help. I had a low flow that wouldn't flush a #2 so
I bought a pressure assist. That makes it go away but sometimes it
does not make it all the way. I tell everyone to be sure to wash their
hands ;-)

Mine almost always flushes fine, leaving me to wonder why it doesn't
always. My latest theory is that occasionally I drink too much milk.
Dairy products can inhibit intestinal contractions, causing bigger and
perhaps harder poops.