Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 7/21/15 9:17 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
We put a man on the moon and built an A-bomb but this "clean dishes with
less water" thing has us flummoxed. At least according the appliance
manufacturers interviewed for that Fox report.

blow the crud off the plates with compressed air before

And have a kitchen wall covered with atomized linguini? (0-: I once tried
to clear an old, dirty condensate line in a refrigerator and blew a huge
sneeze of dirty black water out of the bottom of the unit and onto the floor
and wall.

I've decided to hang a toilet paper roll in the kitchen.

Grease is a problem washing dishes. The more of it you need to emulsify,
the more detergent you need. After wiping the greasy stove top, washing
the grease out of the dish cloth was a hassle. Besides, grease seemed to
be a big reason I often had to use a plunger to get my kitchen drain up
to speed.

I finally got smart and began running to the bathroom for toilet paper.
If I first removed most of the grease from the stove with toilet paper,
the dish cloth was easy to clean.

A paper towel costs 150 times more than a sheet of toilet paper. It's
harder to rip off the roll with one hand, and paper towels fill a waste
basket in a hurry.

Washing something under the faucet can be more convenient than using a
dishwasher, but dishwashing detergent makes it less convenient and
wastes water. You have to distribute the detergent with a wet cloth, and
then it's hard to rinse. If you don't get it all off, you may suffer
intestinal distress.

The 20 Mule Team company recommends Boraxo instead of dishwashing
detergent. They recommend 2 tablespoons in a quart of hot water (It
dissolves well at 130 F and above.). They recommend letting it cool and
pouring it into an empty detergent bottle.

Instead, I put it in a 1-quart Solo sprayer. It holds pressure
indefinitely and sits with the nozzle over the sink. If my hands are
messy, it's easy to press the paddle trigger with the side of my hand.
The nozzle spreads the solution as a mist.

The clarity of glasses and squeakiness of plates persuaded me that for
most items, it's easier and more effective than detergent. It rinses so
much better than detergent that I don't even wait for hot water to come
from the faucet. It also keeps my dish cloth from smelling. Microbes
hate it, but for humans it's about as toxic as table salt.

The shortcoming is that it won't emulsify much grease. If I've been
eating fried chicken, I may have to spray and rinse my fingers several
times. I added a teaspoon of detergent per quart of solution. Even that
little bit of detergent made it harder to rinse off. So when an item has
lots of grease, like my greasy fingers, I'll wipe with toilet paper,
then wash with a borax spray.

I'm going to find me a pecan stick so I can use a couple of pieces of
wire to hang a toilet paper roll. Then I'll have a state-of-the-art
toilet-paper-and-borax kitchen.