Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 7/21/15 1:14 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 07/21/2015 10:56 AM, J Burns wrote:

[snip]

I've been using LED headlamps long enough that I wonder how I got along
on bulbs.

Three years ago, I got one whose 8-degree beam has the intensity of nine
100-watt incandescent bulbs on medium and runs 4 or 5 hours on a AA
cell. If that's not enough, high has the intensity of 25 100W bulbs.

That could be inconveniently narrow and intense indoors. Lately, I got
a second headlamp with a 23-degree beam. On high, the intensity is equal
to six 100W bulbs. On medium its equal to two 100W bulbs.

Usually, I'll run a bulb for a little ambient lighting. If I want a good
look at what I'm doing, I wear a headlamp.

One thing about LEDs is that with most the light is WHITE rather then
the yellow of incandescents.

I buy a headlamp brand where they tell you the model of Cree bulb, but
not the color. (Cree posts lots of color information for their bulbs.)

My second one, with the wider beam, seemed yellow compared to the first.
When I compared it to a full-spectrum light, it was pretty close.
Indoors, I like it. It has enough yellow to be cheery, and it shows
dirt better if I'm cleaning something.

I'd thought the outdoor light was white, but I guess it doesn't have
much yellow. Somehow, that makes it better for identifying an object 100
feet away.

My CFL bulbs are much too yellow for my taste. The package says only
"soft white."