Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default fixing squeaky floor with plain wood screw?

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 15:49:15 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I'd use drywall screws. They're easy to drive in
and don't need to be pre-drilled in plywood or joists.
I don't actually use "wood screws" for anything.
If I need small screws I use sheet metal screws.
Better threads that drive better. Wood screws
are designed for hand drilling and hand screwing.

It's people like you who are causing the collapse of the wood-screw
market.

My widowed sister-in-law invested all her money in wood-screw futures
and now she can't pay the mortgage and is being evicted from her house.

If you're going through oak you'll need to pre-drill
countersunk holes... and presumably be certain
that you'll never want to have that oak showing
again.

Good point. You're forgiven, and I'll try to get my sister-in-law to
agree.