Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default fixing squeaky floor with plain wood screw?

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:19:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/16/2015 3:41 PM, Nil wrote:
On 16 Jul 2015, Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

Can I just use a generic wood screw (countersunk flat head)?
Is 2 inch about right length?

I'll be interested in the answers to this, as I plan to do the same
thing within the next few months. The carpet needs to be replaced, and
that will be the perfect opportunity to fix the many squeaks in the
floor.

I remember some thing about ring nails,
less likely to pull out. But that's a
rather old memory.

I'm not saying where it would work and where it wouldn't work, or if it
would work or even help on floors, but when one is using nails, if you
don't want them to come out and you can do it, it's best to put the
nails in at different angles, maybe as much as 90^ apart. Some leaning
45^ one direction and others leaning the other direction. That way,
nail A keeps nail B from coming out, even if it gets loose, and nail B
keeps nail A from coming out.

I also don't know how floors and anything else are nailed but I can
imagine a guy staying on one side of the work, putting in all the nails
in exactly the same direction.